Leeds Tykes

Match report 07 October 2023

By Angela Rimmington Brown

Tykes tussle to tame Tigers

In a match strewn with errors and penalties, Leeds Tykes scored 8 tries to beat a spirited Sheffield Tigers team.

The Tykes started the livelier of the 2 sides when Henry Macnab opened the scoring on the 5-minute mark. He was at the end of a free-flowing move from the backs when he touched down out wide.

It was windy at the top of Dore Moor. Proof of this was when Tigers’ restart went over the dead-ball line. Leeds were penalised for hands-in. Mark Ireland went for the posts from just inside his own half. The wind didn’t assist him, the ball dropped just short.

Harry Jukes scored the next 2 tries. The first out wide following a quick exit from a line-out on the opposition’s 22. Before his second, the Tykes were penalised at the scrum and Ireland scored from about midway in the away side’s half. Jukes placed the ball between the posts in another move off the back of the line-out. Seremaia Bai Turagabeci’s conversion was successful.

Tigers’ Jamie Broadley scored his side’s first try when he paced down the left wing. Ireland added the extras.

Leeds’ forwards got in on the action with some rucking action close to the try-line. Jack Gilmartin secured the bonus point try. Turagabeci converted.

The visitors found themselves defending. They found the job harder when Macnab was shown a yellow card for a deliberate knock-on. Tigers were awarded a penalty try.

Just before half-time, Adam Brown crashed over when the forwards came in to assist the backs who’d got within a few feet of the line. Turagabeci’s conversion was the last kick of the half.

Tykes’ errors and penalties racked up in the second half. It took fifteen minutes before they scored again when Tom Williams scored a converted try in the corner.

Nicholas Bingham, the Tigers tighthead, ran in a try be lying his position. Although Leeds and their supporters judged that the ball was not grounded.

Jukes completed his hat-trick when the ball came out of a maul to the backs.

The Tykes had a series of penalties in the red zone. A tap and go had Tobi Ademakin power over for his side’s final try. Turagabeci added Leeds’ final points of the match.

Tigers secured their try bonus point from the restart. The Tykes didn’t get their hands on the call before Louis Redfern-Brown scored. Ireland’s conversion was successful.

After the match, Director of Rugby, Pete Seabourne said: “Dore Moor is always a tough place to come. Sheffield Tigers have proved they are a dangerous side.

“I’m pleased with the performance for another 50-point score. We need to be better; there were too many unforced errors and penalties.”

Final score 29-50
(HT 17-31)
Match centre

Our scorers

Next Match
Leeds Tykes
Leeds Tykes
Sat 07 Sep 3:00pm
The Sycamores