Leeds Tykes

Match report 21 October 2023

By Angela Rimmington Brown
Match report Leeds Tykes 30 Fylde RUFC 17 Team logos Sat 21 October

Tykes maintain their perfect start ahead of the break

Leeds Tykes made it 8 games unbeaten with a dominant performance over a tough Fylde team, to pick up another 5-point victory.

Fylde came out of the blocks quicker. They enjoyed possession and territory and stopped the Tykes getting hold of the ball. The home side did show their grit with a huge push in a scrum that came from their opposition knocking-on.

It was a good 10 minutes before Leeds visited Fylde’s half. There was interplay between the backs and forwards; Jake Brady acting as scrum-half. A quick look at the law book was needed when Seremaia Bai Turagabec hit the corner flag with a penalty kick to touch.

It was the Tykes’ turn to enjoy some possession and were awarded a few penalties for high tackles. The first points of the game came after half an hour when Fylde came in at the side at a ruck. Within a kickable range, the penalty was confidently converted by Turagabeci.

Fylde responded a few minutes later after Leeds fumbled the ball in the in-goal area. Jordan Dorrington was the quickest to step to the ball to touch down and score his side’s first try.

Again, the table toppers were pinned in their half. Toby Williams and Eddie Brown combined and worked well to get into the opposition’s half. A second penalty was converted by Turagabeci when Fylde were penalised for being off-side.

The restart was deep. In just a few phases, Tobi Ademakin crashed through the defence from close range to score a try. Turagabeci’s conversion was successful.

Following a series of penalties, Fylde’s Greg Smith was shown yellow for his team’s ill-discipline. Tykes took this opportunity to catch and drive at the lineout. The ball came loose and Ademakin dived over the line for his second try. The extras were added by Turagabeci.

The Tykes started the stronger of the two sides in the second half. Turagabeci showed fine footballing skills, Junior Nu’u took three defenders with him in a bid for the line and Jukes was denied a try as he was in touch in his run down the wing.

Good link-up play between Will Hardwick, Nu’u and Henry Macnab saw Macnab crash over the line for the Tykes’ third try.

Fylde responded with their second try, when hooker Benjamin Gregory showed a turn of speed and cut through the Tykes’ defence like a hot knife through butter. Gregory Smith added the extras.

Leeds responded perfectly, with Macnab getting his second and Tykes’ fourth. He dived over the line from the 22 after a perfect pass from Dixon.

The remainder of the match was rather messy with errors and infringements from both sides. Tom Williams, who had won a foot race to the ball in the in-goal area to stop Fylde from scoring, took a yellow card after one penalty too many from his team.

Fylde enjoyed the last play of the match when Thomas Forster scored a try following a textbook exit from a scrum.

After the match, Director of Ruby, Pete Seabourne, said: “Today was a really tough test for us, Fylde are a very good side. They’ve come here and performed really well. Patience-wise we were better than we have been and it was one of the best defensive performances. At times it was some of the best we’ve played.

“Eight from eight, a perfect start. The lads have a week off. We’ll come in and build for Billingham in two weeks’ time.”

Final score 30-17
(HT 20-5)
Match centre

Our scorers

Report by Ted Bromwich

Next Match
Leeds Tykes
Leeds Tykes
Sat 07 Sep 3:00pm
The Sycamores