Leeds Tykes

Match report 30 September 2023

By Angela Rimmington Brown
Match squad Huddersfield RUFC 10 Leeds Tykes 52 Team logos Saturday 30 Sept 15:00

Downpour doesn’t dampen Tykes’s display

Leeds Tykes maintained their unbeaten run in pouring rain at Huddersfield RUFC’s picturesque ground, dampening their opposition’s enthusiastic efforts.

The home side had the first points on the board after Leeds presented a kicking opportunity for being offside. Joseph Potter scored the simple penalty.

Adam Brown opened the Tykes’ tally when he crashed over after a catch and drive. Seremaia Bai Turagabeci’s conversion was successful.

Jacob Mounsey was given a yellow card for what was deemed a deliberate knock-on virtually on the try line.

Being one mad down didn’t impact Leeds. The ball was quickly released from a scrum deep in Huddersfield half. Turagabeci ran in the try, which he converted.

Back on the pitch, Mounsey scored his first try following a break by Tom Williams who received the ball from a clean exit at a lineout just inside Huddersfield’s half. Turagabeci added the extras.

Mounsey added his second try when the backs combined to run down the tramlines.

Leeds were soon on the attack again. A break from Jack Gilmartin and a powerful run by Ben Dixon put the ball deep in Huddersfield half. They were forced to kick the ball away, but it was charged down by Lucas Walsh, who then recouped the ball to score. Turagabeci scored the conversion.

The rain came down harder in the second half. This caused a few handling problems for both sides and slowed the tempo of the match.

Huddersfield scored early in the half when Edward Barber touched down after an attack from the home side cut through the Tyke’s defence. Potter’s conversion was successful.

Harry Jukes ran in his side’s sixth try out wide. The seventh was scored by Tobi Ademakin who was at the bottom of a maul that was driven from the 22. Turagabeci scored the conversion.

Charlie Venables was unlucky not to score; he was bundled into touch inches short of the line. So were Huddersfield but their winger miskicked the ball he was chasing.

Possession changed between the two sides, both reaching their opponents’ red zones.

The last play of the match saw Leeds being awarded a penalty. Tom Williams tapped the ball into touch as he thought the referee had signalled the end of the game. The ref. made him take it again. Will Hardwick came into the back of the catch and drive and scored Tyke’s eighth try. Turagabeci’s conversion was the final kick of the game.

After the match, Director of Rugby, Pete Seabourne, said: “I’m really pleased how we played in the conditions. In the first half, we adapted really well to control field position and territory. I knew it would get bitty in the second as the rain came down more incessantly.

“I want to call out Ollie Kenyon and Dan Grant for their performances on debut. It’s a tough place to come in any conditions, so to come away with 5 points is good.”

Final score 10-52
(HT 3-33)
Match centre

Our scorers