Leeds Tykes

Match report 16 December

By Angela Rimmington Brown
Match report Otley RUFC 17 Leeds Tykes 47 Team logos Sat 16 December

Tis the season to be jolly as Leeds Tykes march on

Leeds Tykes gave their fans an early Christmas present. The National League 2 North league leaders scored 7 tries on a visit to their neighbours at Otley. 

While it was not a vintage performance from the Tykes, they were clinical and showed why they are the competition’s top points scorers.

The first 15 minutes of the match was an even tussle. Otley opened the scoring when Sam Taylor scored out wide after a series of penalties were awarded to the home side.

Within minutes, a penalty try was awarded to Leeds when Kieran Davies was hauled down by a high tackle within metres of scoring. The offender received a yellow card.

Davies then made sure he did score a try by ducking and diving passed several defenders as he raced up the wing to the line. Seremaia Bai Turagabeci converted.

The Tykes enjoyed the first of many lineout turnovers. It came when Otley kicked to touch following a penalty. The home side was awarded a series of them, but they could not convert them into tries; a long-range penalty kick just missed the posts.

Leeds enjoyed a turnover from solid defending, which allowed Ben Dixon to make a break, covering over forty metres, before off-loading to Jacob Mounsey to score.

The Tykes’ bonus point try was scored on the stroke of half-time by Will Hardwick who found himself at the bottom of the pile after a catch and drive close to the opposition’s line. Turagabeci added the extras.

Within minutes of the second half starting, Leeds continued with the close-range catch and drives. Charlie Friend scored from one. Turagabeci’s conversion was successful.

The game became bitty, with most of the action taking place between the two 10-metre lines. Eddie Brown was shown the yellow card following a series of Tykes’ indiscipline.

Mounsey started the move for Leeds’ next try. He broke when the ball exited a scrum close to his own 5-metre line. Charlie Venables made sure of the score by passing to Henry Macnab. Davies converted.

Otley’s second try came when they spotted an overlap and Sam Hodge ran through the gap.

Jonny Teague scored his side’s final try when he turned on the after-burners from the 22. Davies added the extras.

Otley scored with the last play of the match. Ed Crossland was at the end of a very well-worked move from deep in the host’s half. He converted his try.

Speaking after the match, Director of Rugby, Pete Seabourne said: “Thirteen out of thirteen is an unbelievable achievement for the players. Today wasn’t our best performance. We scored some good tries, we were patient, but our discipline has to be better.

“We’re looking forward to Christmas and already planning for Tynedale in a few weeks.”

Final score 17-47
(HT 5-26)
Match centre

Our scorers

Next Match
Thu 01 Jan 1:00am

Get your half season ticket now

Half season tickets are available now for games from 13 January 2024. Here are all the details.

Christmas competition

Don’t miss your chance to win a £100 gift voucher at No14 – Restaurant & Bar.