Leeds Tykes

Match report 3 February

By Angela Rimmington Brown
Match report Hull RUFC 22 Leeds Tykes 58 Team logos Sat 3 February

Leeds Tykes clean up in physical match

Leeds Tykes were out of the blocks quicker than you can say “Will Dennis”. Will scored when the match was twenty-four seconds old as the away side secured the ball following the kick-off. It was the quickest Tyke’s try in nearly sixteen years.

More tries came in quick succession, with the bonus point secured within twenty-four minutes. Kieran Davies scored the second when he was at the end of a training ground move; the backs passed the ball along their line from a line-out. He scored his second minutes later in another play from the backs after the forwards put in the graft with a 10-metre driving maul.

A team effort starting with a clean exit from a scum found Henry Macnab scoring the Tykes’ fourth try. Davies converted two of those early tries.

Hull got into the game and spent some time in Leeds’ territory due to a series of high tackles by the away side. They were not able to penetrate the Tykes’ defence. When Leeds were penalised for not releasing, Reece Dean successfully converted a penalty from 40 metres.

The second half was physical. Shortly after the restart, Hull were down to fourteen men when Bureta Faraimo was sent to the sin-bin after a dangerous tackle on Henry Macnab who was unlucky not to score. Ben Turpin did though after a tap penalty when he was at the end of a chip and chase.

Tom Collins was next to get his name on the scorecard when he was at the end of a close-range maul that saw three players break away towards the line. Pete Lucock converted.

Hull scored their first try when they picked the ball up from a ruck in their own 22. Harrison Astley charged down the length of the wing to score. Reece Dean added the extras.

Leeds were deep in Hull’s half when Liam Regardsoe knocked on. Will Dennis went to retrieve the ball for the scrum and received an elbow in his face for his troubles. Regardsoe was shown a yellow card.

The league leaders scored from the resulting line-out. Henry Macnab grabbed his second try of the match in the far corner when the ball was spun out across the backs.

Leeds’ eighth try found Will Hardwick at the bottom of the pile in a catch and drive. Tom Williams, who had spent the afternoon stopping Hull players in their tracks, converted.

Ewan Evans ran down the tramlines when Leeds successfully overturned a line-out mid-way in their own half He scored in the corner.

Keiran Davies scored his try hat-trick with an effort running out of from inside his own 10-metre line.

The home side kept pressing. They send the ball out wide from a line-out deep in Leeds’ half. Joe Barret scored. Dean’s conversion was successful. Paulos Ratu added a third try.

After the match, Pete Seabourne, Leeds Tykes’ Director of Rugby, said: “That was a tough match against a good Hull side. We played very well for 60 minutes, scoring some good tries. As always, there is more we can do to improve but overall, a very pleasing result.”

Final score 22-58
(HT 3-24 )
Match centre

Our scorers

This is Joe Cotton’s interview with Adam Brown with a few of the highlights from the match.

Subs are auto-generated.

And here’s Kieran Davies with some more highlights.

Subs are auto-generated.

Next Match
Thu 01 Jan 1:00am