Leeds Tykes

Match report 27 April

By Angela Rimmington Brown
Match report Leeds Tykes 47 Sheffield 42 Team logos Sat 27 April

A hair-raising Headingley thriller to end the season

This thrilling season finale, played at Headingley Stadium, was a high-scoring, entertaining match fitting of the teams who finished second and third in the league. Both teams traded converted tries in the first quarter of the match. Sheffield scored first when the ball was released from a catch and drive. Fisher converted Whitney’s try. Leeds Tykes responded when in-form fly-half Callum Irvine scored after a break by Adam Brown. Seremaia Bai Turagabeci’s conversion was successful.

Following a break by ex-Tyke Ryan Burrows, the South Yorkshire side edged ahead when Elliott Fisher converted his own try. The home side then scored four unanswered tries. Adam Brown picked up an over-thrown lineout, sending Ben Dixon to crash over. Eddie Brown scored from a catch and drive. A similar move with a longer drive found Adam Brown securing the try bonus point. Lively winger and the Tykes’ top try scorer of the season, Henry Macnab, scored out wide. On the stroke of half-time, Toby Williams scored. All were successfully converted by Irvine.

The second half started with the Tykes having to defend hard. Jonny Teague was at the centre of the defence stopping everything in his sight. Christian Hooper scored between the posts for a simple Fisher conversion.

Against the run of play, Tom Williams ripped the ball and charged through Sheffield’s defence. They could only stand and stare as Henry Macnab raced in to score his second try.

Callum Posa was shown a yellow card. The West Yorkshire outfit could not capitalise on the extra man. Sheffield continued with their expansive, attacking game and scored with efforts from Ryan Burrows and Cameron Catleugh both converted by Fisher.

In the final minutes of the game, Kieran Davies missed the opportunity to make the match safe for his side. It was not to be. Leeds’ strong defence was again in evidence and their efforts were awarded a penalty when Sheffield were only feet from the try line. The ball was kicked to touch. Game and season over.

After the match, Director of rugby, Pete Seaborne said: “First of all I want to congratulate Rotherham on their promotion. Losing just 7 points in the season is a fantastic achievement. Us losing 9 is also a fantastic achievement.

“Good to finish with a win. 47-42? I’m gobsmacked really. We were easily winning then we let it go. Overall it was pleasing. Sheffield showed why they finished third. They are a very good side.

“I’d like to thank all the supporters for all their following this year. I know we will come back bigger and stronger next season. Enjoy the summer.”

Assistant coach, Pete Lucock, added: “We finished how we wanted to with a win. It took us a while to get used to their style of play. We lost control of the game after half-time to let them get back into the game.

“To drop 9 points all season and miss promotion is a bitter pill to swallow. It is what it is. I’ve loved this year and I think all the boys have. It puts us in good stead for next year.”

Final score 47-42
(HT 42-14)
Match centre

Our scorers