Leeds Tykes

Leeds let go of lead

By Angela Rimmington Brown
Leeds Tykes v Plymouth Albion Saturday 15 April Match report

This match summed up Leeds Tykes’ season. Leading at half-time they failed to capitalise on a strong first-half performance for the match to end in defeat.

Leeds started the livelier of the two sides. Alex Pleasants making a break out of defence, followed by Sam Mace who found himself isolated. Just as Jukes had a free run to the line, the pass from Charlie Venables was deemed forward.

Plymouth scored first when Philip Jones touched down after five minutes when the ball was released from a maul formed after line-out from a penalty.

The home side turned their possession and territory into points. With two quick tries: first from Tom Williams charging over out the back of a scrum. Followed by Harry Jukes who sprinted up the tramlines from 45m out. Venables converted both.

Ramaz Rukhadze narrowed the scored with a score coming from a catch and drive. Jones added the extras.

Ahead of the break, Rhys Williams put his side further ahead, scoring from a driving maul. Venables’ conversion was successful.

Leeds carried on as they ended the first half, with lots of endeavour. Their early efforts coming to nothing. The play was stalled between both teams’ 22s. The Tykes’ defence held strong when Plymouth were close to their line; Maguire making metres from the back of a scrum when Plymouth put in a huge shove, moving the opposition backwards.

Plymouth scored with a drive from 40 metres with Finlay Richardson putting the ball down in the corner. Jake Brady was on the end of a yellow card after the referee threatened following a series of penalties from the Yorkshire side. The conversion was charged down.

Leeds had several chances but were penalised before being able to finish their moves.

Plymouth kept up the pressure and scored two more tries. The home supporters were screaming that they’d seen a series of forward passes in the build ups to the scores. Charlie Groves scored out wide, Harry Wilkinson from a catch and drive. Jones converted both.

Craig Duncan scored with the final play of the match when a forwards’ drive released the balls to the backs.

After the match, Pete Seabourne said: “It’s frustrating, as it has been throughout the season. We’re good in parts, not so good in other parts. During the break we addressed how we’d play the second half and it didn’t happen.

“The players and I will address this over the next couple of week, solving it over the summer and taking it into next season.”

21 – 36
(HT 21-12)

Match centre

Our scorers

Next Match
Leeds Tykes
Leeds Tykes
Sat 13 Apr 3:00pm